DRUMS on the OHIO is seeking a talented Graphic Design Intern to assist in creative development and design of marketing and promotional materials for the 2020 show.
DRUMS on the OHIO is a non-profit music event that is part of the Drum Corps International (DCI) summer music tour which brings drum and bugle corps to Evansville. The mission of DRUMS on the OHIO is to support youth activities in music education and performing arts throughout the Tri-State. Our organization provides outreach opportunities, contributes funds to local instrumental music programs, and provides valuable scholarships to student interns and individuals from our area that participate in drum corps. Each year the event attracts an enthusiastic audience of around 3,500 people. Our goal is to continue to grow our event and community outreach while providing an outstanding show to our fans. This year the event will be held on Monday, June 22, 2020.
The Graphic Design Intern is responsible for designing the overall graphic theme of the show. The theme would carry over to all marketing materials including website, emails, show posters, direct mail, outdoor media, print ads, social media, and souvenir program guide.
Intern will report to the Marketing and Sponsorship Chair and will collaborate with the marketing committee to achieve desired goals. Intern will be selected by the beginning of March and will begin work in early March. All applications must be received by Sunday, February 23, 2020.
- Intern is pursuing a degree in graphic design.
- Fluency in Adobe suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator).
- Strong design skills reflected in a current portfolio of school assignments or work product.
- Understanding of design principles and ability to ensure visual consistency of the event’s brand across all materials.
- Knowledge of print production specifications and setup preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
- Experience with image editing, compression, file correction and optimization techniques.
- Experience with website image uploading and content posting; digital and email marketing design experience using HTML and CSS a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of specific file types, including which are best to use for production.
- Ability to layout a book in InDesign.
- Detail-oriented; ability to work independently with minimal supervision (intern would be working from home and their own time).
- Solid organizational and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Intern would be required to attend all marketing and planning meetings unless otherwise specified.
- Meetings would be weekly in March and April, and a monthly meeting in May. Meetings as needed in June. Meetings may be in person or phone calls with Marketing and Sponsorship Chair or Marketing Committee.
LENGTH OF INTERNSHIP
Internship would be from March 2020 – June 2020. This internship would require a substantial amount of time in April, May, and early June for development of the Program Guide. Please be aware that availability is imperative during that time for this internship opportunity.
SELECTION AND TIMING
Intern will be selected at the end of February. The Marketing and Sponsorship Chairperson will conduct interviews with candidates. Chosen candidate will be contacted in March to meet and discuss marketing plan and begin brainstorming creative ideas with marketing committee for 2020 show.
LIST OF PROJECTS
This internship may include, but is not limited to, the following projects:
- Event Program Guide
- Promotional Posters
- Event Poster and School Outreach Poster
- Promotional Business Cards
- T-Shirt Design
- Logo Design
- Direct Mail
- Outdoor Billboards
- Print Ads
- Social Media and Web Graphics
- Email Newsletter Graphics
- Specialty Day of Event Promotions/Signage
Compensation for the intern position would include:
- Printed samples of all materials produced for show.
- Letters of recommendation from Marketing & Sponsorship Chairperson.
- Recognized in 2020 Program Guide and Website.
- Half page ad with personal artwork and information about intern.
- Receive 4 Premium Seating Tickets to show on Monday, June 22 along with Premium Parking Pass (valued at $100.00)
- $500.00 scholarship to be awarded for exceptional work.
- Would be awarded as a scholarship paid to the school to be applied toward tuition.
If you would like more information about DRUMS on the OHIO, please visit the following websites:
To learn more about Drum Corps, please visit Drum Corps International at www.DCI.org.